Integrative medicine for cardiovascular care ensures that people have the full range of treatment options — as well as ongoing support and expertise for the behavioral changes often recommended after being diagnosed with heart disease.
Discover the services offered at Scripps integrative medicine for cardiovascular disease, including:
- Acupuncture — Acupuncture uses very thin, virtually painless needles to stimulate healing energy for spiritual, emotional, mental and physical balance
- Biofeedback — Electronic monitoring to teach you to control your heart rate, lower blood pressure and potentially treat heart arrhythmias
- Integrative cardiac rehab — Unique and innovative cohort model where patients participate in a group setting to strengthen their heart and recover from cardiac interventions
- Cooking and exercise classes — Educational offerings to help you lose weight, regain strength, reduce stress and nourish the heart
- Enhanced external counterpulsation — Noninvasive compression of blood vessels to increase blood flow of the heart and relieve persistent angina
- Healing Touch — An energy-based, noninvasive treatment that restores and balances energy to promote healing and well-being
- Advanced lipid clinic — More detailed testing of advanced plaque-causing cholesterol in the blood
- Meditation — Drawing on the powerful mind-body connection to lower blood pressure and bring calm
- Nutrition counseling — Personalized coaching to help set goals and strategies for losing weight and eating with heart health in mind
- Sound healing — Using vibrations and resonance to bring deep relaxation and healing
- Stress management — Techniques to help you identify and prevent triggers that contribute to high blood pressure
- Therapeutic massage — Treatment to relax muscles and reduce stress to promote heart health
- Yoga — Gentle exercises and breathing to lower blood pressure, help with insomnia and improve strength and flexibility
- Tai Chi — An ancient form of exercise that reduces stress and improves flexibility and balance
- Advanced cardiac imaging — Early detection and diagnoses aided by PET/CT scans, echocardiography and more
- State-of-the-art fitness center — Offering the best of fitness classes, exercise equipment, specialty programs and personal training
Learn more about different types of integrative medicine therapy.
The physicians and health care professionals that make up the Scripps integrative cardiology team are passionate about lifestyle change to prevent heart disease. Through integrative and holistic approaches we help patients not only recover from heart disease but reach optimal health and quality of life resulting in the need for less medication and invasive procedures.
With a referral from your physician, schedule an appointment at the Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine for a consultation, where you will receive recommendations and an introduction to our resources. At the center, special attention is paid to creating a serene environment that fosters relaxation and calm. You’re afforded plenty of time to ask questions and discuss treatment options. And with classes in cooking, exercise, yoga and meditation, as well as a cardiac rehab, there’s no end to the tools to support your prevention and recovery journey.
Provided under the direction of a physician and established integrative medicine experts, our programs and services can help you make important, healthy changes in your life, including:
- Reduced need for medication and invasive treatments
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduced cholesterol levels
- Weight loss
- Greater vitality and energy
- Prevention of symptoms before they begin
- Enhanced well-being
- Lower levels of stress
- Sense of empowerment, using the mind-body connection to optimize your health and healing
- Support with evidenced-based herbs and natural supplements